Welcome to my blog...

I hope you enjoy it...

Please leave a comment if you read something you like...

Please leave a comment if you read something you don't like...


Monday 11 January 2010

Belief Is a Beautiful Armour...

Beliefs are a funny thing. Everyone has beliefs, some people believe in gods, others believe in things like love, honesty, and integrity and some people claim they don't believe in anything. That they have no faith.

I don't believe that anybody can have no faith. I envy atheists sometimes. Really. It takes a tremendous amount of faith to believe that we all came from nothing. That everything happened by chance, and when we die, it all ends. The main contradiction I hear from atheists is the claim that Christians are narrow minded. After all, as a Christian, my whole faith system is built on there being more than I can see. Whilst the average atheist won't believe anything they can't see, anything they can't prove. Narrow minded? Hmmm.

I love the movie Dogma. I think it's a movie filled with pictures of what Christianity should be. One of my favourite parts of the movie is Chris Rock, who plays a character called Rufus (the 13th apostle of Jesus) talks about beliefs;

Rufus: He still digs humanity, but it bothers Him to see the shit that gets carried out in His name - wars, bigotry, televangelism. But especially the factioning of all the religions. He said humanity took a good idea and, like always, built a belief structure on it.

Bethany: Having beliefs isn't good?

Rufus: I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant.

I was listening to a guy called Johnson McMaster speaking recently. At one point he talked about beliefs, and how the post-modern Church is moving away from beliefs, and embracing spirituality more and more. He talked about how Christians, rather than being caught up in doctrine and theology, is starting to realise they don't have all the answers, and grasping hold of a few basic principles instead, for example how Jesus is the son of God, and how trusting in him brings salvation.

I've been asking myself a lot of questions. It's hard being a Christian, especially a young Christian. You go to church and listen to the pastor/minister speak on a Sunday, and he tells you what to believe. What the bible says is true. Sometimes, I think, he can get it wrong. I grew up in a religious family. I was taught that there are certain things that we should believe, but when I started questioning these things, I started to think they weren't all that important. Even more poigniantly, I started to become unsure of what to believe. I wasn't sure anymore if smokers, or people who said bad words or gays were all that bad, or if Jesus loved them any less or if I should for that matter. I became confused as to what Christianity was all about, and began thinking it was about a certain set of rules I needed to follow.

I have an issue with people who try to force beliefs on other people. "Belief is a beautiful armour, but makes for the heaviest sword." Who am I to say that the things I believe are right, and the things you believe are wrong? And even if I am right, is proving you wrong going to make you want to believe the things I believe? I have this crazy idea that maybe Jesus wants us to love people, unconditionally, no matter what they believe, and let them ask the questions. I'm not saying it's wrong to talk about Jesus, I love to talk about Jesus, but walking up to a stranger on the street and telling them how they are a sinner and are going to spend eternity in hell unless they start to believe the things I believe...it just doesn't sit right with me.

There's a little bit of theory behind faith. A few guys have studied faith, and come up with stages that people go through in their 'faith journey.' A guy called Fowler was one of the main guys behind the research, but a guy called Brian McClaren adopted Fowlers 7 stages and cut them down to 3. I like his version.

The 4 main stages Brian talks about are; Simplicity, Complexity, Perplexity and Humility/Harmony. Stage 1 is a very dualistic, us and them view of the world. You have all the right answers, everything is simple, you are right and everyone else is wrong. In stage 2 you start to realise that there are other views that aren’t the same as yours, but are also not necessarily wrong. Here rather than right or wrong you start to think about whether things work. You focus on ‘how to’s’. In stage 3 you start to wonder whos opinion in the right one and you start to get angry at people who claim that the answers are so easy. You start to look for honesty in people, but move away from looking for people who have all the right answers. People who claim to not know all the answers are more attractive than people who claim they have the answers. In stage 4 you realise that you don’t have all the answers, but you tend to take a few small, essentials and try to build your life around them. The focus instead of being right or wrong, shifts to wise or unwise. You become more sympathetic for people in stages 1-3.

I think Jesus wants us to be wise. To think about how we act. I don't think Jesus wants us to get everything right. He knows we can't. I think rather than being too caught up in what we believe, we should question. Questions are good. Often they lead to...more questions. But thats okay. I'm not God. I'm never going to understand everything, even though I like to try, but in the end, I think what matters most is that we love a lot, and search for God everyday. Half the fun is in not knowing the answers.

I don't know the answers. But I love Jesus, and Jesus loves me, and I'm convinced if I keep looking for answers, he will help me find some. It's frusrating, and beautiful and confusing, but its fun.

Just to leave you with something nice, here's a beautiful song by Passion Pit called To Kingdom Come. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX1KXFRIrpc

5 comments:

  1. Great post. I particularly like this...
    "And even if I am right, is proving you wrong going to make you want to believe the things I believe"

    We generally think that evangelism is about proving our points and making sure that others believe the same as us. By doing that, I think have cringed when I have hear the word evangelise.

    But your post and other guys like Brian McLaren are showing me that we need to redefine what evangelism means.

    Maybe like you said it should be showing people that there are a few basic truths and that other than that we are on a journey with God which allows us to really live and not make it about just subscribing to certain doctrines which to be honest are often restricting what it means to be a Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark, Thanks Nugget.

    Its great to get some feedback...but more importantly...

    Did you listen to Passion Pit ;-) ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this post and i think for the first time in my life I can actually say, yes, my church has that down! I don't say that as in, isnt my church just perfect, but more like, we understand we aren't but that Jesus is.

    The Northern Irish church culture can be very binding at times. Its funny because the more you focus on Jesus, its hard to be dogmatic towards other people's beliefs and its ridiculous the amount of crap we insist on putting our Christian foots down over.

    On a slightly different note, i was wondering to myself, all the people we know who insist on what the bible says regarding certain things, have they really really earnestly sought after God's heart for it or are they just jumping on the bible bandwagon and hitting people round the head with their belief without communicating Jesus first? I can just imagine in heaven, suddenly understanding completely what the bible says about things and realizing all the times we were so so wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I know. I think if God were to show up and hand us all the answers to all the questions we would all be quite shocked with what we learned. More importantly, Jesus never seemed to get angry with people who messed up, or who spent time looking for them. He got angry with religious people who thought they had all the answers an had it all sorted. That is comforting to me. To know that God will never condemn me for not knowing the answers, but he will if I'm arrogant and pretend that I have it all down.

    ReplyDelete